Friday, March 23, 2007

The Impish, The Mythical and The Ethereal


I have a theory. I may be crazy. But here's what I think (or rather just kind of hope without a lot of gravity attached to the hope). I personally think that somehow, somewhere, there really do exist these fairy tale creatures. You know the ones. Mermaids, faeries, imps, centaurs, satyrs, giants, dragons--- all of them. I think they exist. I don't know how close we really are in the descriptions we give them, or if the pictures and ideas we have of them are accurate.

But think about it. There are SO many stories out there with various mythical creatures in them that I think there's got to be some basis for them. I think most legends and stories have roots in truth. Either way, I don't care what anyone says. I'm going to go on hoping that these enchanting creatures exist until I'm told unequivocally that they do not. Whether C. S. Lewis got it right and there is somehow other worlds in which these creatures reside, or they are somehow hidden in a version of Tolkein's Middle Earth, I want to believe in these charming beings in the same ways that they are portrayed in some of my favorite fantasy novels (mostly just the Chronicles of Narnia).

0 comments: